What are the 5 basic formatting guidelines you should follow when writing a cover letter?
Take these five steps to format a cover letter.
Step 1: Start with a clear and business-like cover letter header.
Step 2: Use your introduction to make a strong opening and include a personal salutation.
Step 3: Use the body of your letter to explain why you are applying for a particular job, speak about your resume points, and show why you are a perfect fit.
Step 4: Make a strong call to action.
Step 5: Add a professional sign-off.
If you are wondering how to layout cover letter, here are the key steps.
- Put your header first.
- Make a powerful opening that introduces you to the reader.
- Write your sales pitch.
- Write a conclusion that wraps up the key points and makes a call to action.
- Wrap it up with a business-like sign-off.
Pro tip: Once you are done with writing the job-winning content of your cover letter, take time to proofread and edit it to eliminate any mistakes.
As you probably already know, a good cover letter should include three basic parts - an intro, body, and conclusion. Now, here are some pieces of advice on how to write your cover letter without a hassle.
- Add a header that looks professional.
- Greet the reader and make a powerful introduction.
- Explain your motivation and key points from your resume in body paragraphs.
- Shape a clear call to action.
- Finish your cover letter with a concise sign-off in a business-like manner.