Blog Writing Format: Best Tips For Success in 2023
In case you were wondering at all what copywriting is, you’ll find a starter pack inside this article. If you’re a professional writer, you’ll probably find tips and tricks you haven’t used before as we share our copywriting service secrets. On the other hand, if you have decided to run a blog, you’ll find some essential advice on such a “boring” thing as formatting. We’ll explain why it’s critical to know how to format blog and the right tools to do it.
The article has three main parts:
- Main body;
The introduction and conclusion are short summaries of any text. First, you must prepare the reader with what you’ll tell about, and in the end, conclude the key points. The main body can be of any length and consist of sub-parts. It also includes bullet lists and needs to have a logical flow of information.
Let’s dive into the storytelling world and see how to explore your creative nature!
Why Proper Blog Formatting is important?
Blog formatting is of the same importance as content quality. Aiming to write an outstanding blog post, ensure your readers will easily digest the information. Besides, your content will not work as you want without a solid blog format it's one of main advice of top content writing services.
Here’s the list of the most popular blog post formats:
- “How-To” Post: an appropriate choice for B2B bloggers who have a piece of instructive information they want to impart to their audience;
- “What” Post: is the best format to introduce or explain a specific concept;
- “Why” Post: is a helpful tool to draw attention and significance of the topic at hand;
- List Post: is a mix of list and article. It typically involves a number of reasons or secrets giving the reader a concrete promise of what’s in the offer;
- Curated Post: is a possibility to reinvent yourself as a blogger and build trustful relationships with other influencers. The main benefit of the curated post is that the reader can use it to find necessary information instead of browsing tons of useless resources;
- Fun or Culture Post is purely for entertainment purposes. It has a light structure, with the format focusing on the type of content you’re sharing;
- Infographic Post: the other popular type of post among B2B marketers. Infographics usually have a lot of information about products and services displayed in a visually attractive mode.
As you can see, there are many roads to pursue when working on a content marketing plan. So, don’t get discouraged when you start blogging for business. Try to find yourself the best niche to spike social shares.
Step-By-Step Guide to Formatting
The best part is — you don’t need specific preparation to create a visually appealing format for your blog. Stay tuned because we’re going to share the working formatting blog tips for newly-starting influencers!
Create a clear outline
One of the best blog formatting tips is to have a plan in mind. For example, if you want to make the articles stand out, the outline is your tool to keep the logical flow of text.
Outlining helps to write engaging blog posts and follow your content plan. A blog post outline is a roadmap for a successful piece of writing. It hints at what to write about and how to structure your ideas properly. An excellent outline also makes it easier not to sound too repeatable while keeping the natural writing pace.
The key elements of a blog outline include the following:
- Headline: the one making the reader click on your post;
- Subheading: a short line of text underneath the main title to highlight the significant focus of the post;
- Images: preferably near the top to anchor the text;
- Main body: the critical element giving a full glimpse onto a particular topic and presenting it to the reader in the most vivid details;
- Sources: means the external research sources or case studies used in a post;
- Author’s bio: include it to make interested readers learn more about the blog.
Make sure you follow the outline
Creating an outline is just the first step to the best blog format. You won’t become a writing expert in a day, and the same applies to the target audience.
Here are some tips to make an outline work:
- Brainstorm the very first sentence: it should be eye-catching and memorable;
- Set up a purpose: should your post persuade people or inform them about something?
- Establish a connection: blog posts are more personal than, let’s say, a newspaper article. Readers will want to know what makes you qualified to discuss a particular topic and if you are that specific person with enough credibility.
The first thing to remember — you have to start with a hook to engage with a reader properly. Let’s consider the next step and learn how to make captivating titles!
Use catchy headlines
Did you know that a catchy headline can boost your traffic by more than 400%? If you’re genuinely interested in creating better content, you’ll need to pick up the best blog formats. And they all start with an informative title.
Some of the most popular blogs align within two parallels: being SEO-friendly (thanks to keywords) and using positive psychological triggers to make people relate to your story.
Find the list of the six steps behind the psychology of contagious content below:
- Social currency: something society tells you about;
- Triggers: something that’s at the tip of your tongue;
- Emotion: something that makes you amused by the process;
- Public: something you’d want to imitate when other people do it;
- Practical value: something you share to achieve the greater good;
- Stories: something you wrap in a narrative.
Every headline should stimulate an emotion. Whether it’s curiosity, joy, or even sadness, you won’t achieve success till people feel something when reading your post.
Take care of an introduction part
One of the common blog formats involves telling a bit about yourself before you start sharing any experience. People tend to doubt the “experts” they find online, since there are many scammers users know nothing about who pose themselves as influencers.
Blogger is a form of self-entrepreneurship. You won’t find a blog writer listed as an in-demand writing career in 2023. It’s the business you start, mostly alone, and which you’re responsible for. Therefore, establishing a personal brand is essential to make you sound unique and recognizable.
Add a table of contents
Remember we’ve mentioned the importance of writing an outline? A table of contents is a reader’s outline, making it much easier to navigate through lots of information.
To make writing formats for cool blog posts, create a list first. Add the key points highlighted in a blog post and incorporate a hyperlink to give direct access to the section.
How can a table of contents transform your blog posts?
- It gives a short preview;
- It provides key points to access specific content;
- It helps you to prioritize the content flow in your post.
A table of contents is the manual process. It won’t magically update any time you tweak your content. So, ensure you update all the broken links or make any other changes before publishing a post.
Keep it simple
Put yourself in a reader’s shoes to create an exciting blog post. How would you like a story to be told? Or a specific DIY process to be described?
The blog article formats are not limited by the length and width of the text. It’s a consistency in providing information. Therefore, one thing should lead to another, giving a logical conclusion.
It may surprise you, but keeping the blog posts short is one proven way to gain more followers. The great blog formats include only necessary information without repeating the same thing twice. They call out the reader and leave some intrigue to inspire curiosity and start following your blog.
Incorporate the visuals
Adding images to blog posts significantly increases the number of views. The blog image formats are different, and you can pick one depending on the topic and the direction of your blog.
Why is adding visuals (such as infographics, pictures, GIFs, and other types of content) important? First, it makes the text more readable (think about it — instead of scrolling through the endless story, your reader will switch the attention towards the visible part).
Start a blog post with a featured image right away. Don’t forget to add photos throughout the text, either centered in your post or aligned with the text. Also, stop worrying about how to add custom templates and design to blog post formats. Start with simple pictures, and the rest will come along!
The subheadings help break up a long document into smaller sections. They serve the primary purpose of the blog format types: to provide ideas in easily identifiable forms.
Think of a subheading as a bullet point of the post. It introduces the topic of the paragraph and is usually introduced by a tag or a few words that explain what the paragraph covers.
Generally, there is a title in the form of an H1 header and up to 4 subheadings (H2, H3, H4) used to delve deeper into certain story points. Subheadings also provide additional information on specific elements.
Add external and internal links
You may use the links to highlight your sources while preparing information. No need to use an overwhelming amount, but you undoubtedly have to back up case studies and research if you provide concise data.
The main rule for adding links is — to use them whenever you’re speaking in someone else’s words. You’ll be at risk of copyright infringement if you use the numbers or quotes without mentioning the author in return.
Keep it SEO friendly
Last but not least: to transform your blog into an SEO-friendly piece of content, you must add title tags and meta descriptions. It won’t let the posts get drowned in the unknown but will bring them higher in the search engine results.
The tags and descriptions are core elements of SEO optimization. The title tag is an HTML element that summarizes the idea of the web page. The meta description provides brief information about the page. You may check these tools manually or use specific sites, such as the Website Audit tool, to ensure you’ve placed the title tags in order.
The Bottom Line
Running a blog is almost like a freelance job (except you have no boss to report to). You won’t find it in job descriptions, but being a successful blogger doesn’t mean just expressing your thoughts whenever possible. It also has a routine part, where you choose the proper order of words to engage with a reader.
That’s where the blog format steps in. Don’t hesitate to spend some time and choose a working model for your page. You won’t regret it.