When you are an Information Technology specialist, your job opportunities are almost limitless. It’s one of the most in-demand positions in the world, known for a high salary, job security, and many other benefits.
But, how do you land such a dream job?
You need a resume that shows that you are well-versed in the IT work process and have all the necessary skills. Read on to get expert writing tips and a well-written sample resume for information technology jobs.
How to Format an Information Technology Resume
Experts suggest that the top best resume format is reverse-chronological. It’s believed that this format looks winning on any job application, whether it’s an IT resume or applications for other industries.
Why is it so effective? Because it emphasizes what matters. It can engage potential employers best by showing your strongest points, experiences, and wins first and, thus, can bring you the awaited interview invitation.
Stay with us to find a worthy sample that follows the right layout.
Information Technology Resume [Sample]
Information Technology Technician
Certified information technology technician with superior attention to detail and over 4+ years of experience in the top firm. Enthusiastic communicator and confident leader with a proven track record of effective completion of tasks under customers’ requirements. Motivated and self-driven.
- Demonstrated successful support ticket handling with a 100% problem resolution rate.
- Resolved customers’ technical issues.
- Successfully diagnosed and eliminated on-served software and hardware issues that saved the company a total of over $1.2M.
Columbia University, New York, NY
BA in Data Science
- Completed a senior project on machine learning
- Worked part-time as a service desk technician on campus
- GPA 3.9
- Hardware and software maintenance
You can use this information technology resume template to create your own one and ensure that you do it the right way. And keep reading further to find more detailed guidelines, tips, and examples on writing a resume for information technology.
We also encourage you to explore the rest of the examples of an information technology resume we will share further. Every resume sample for information technology presented here was created using our:
- Resume writing service
- Resume editing service
- CV writing service
- LinkedIn resume writing service
What about other professions and industries? In terms of resume writing, SkillHub got you covered regardless of the industry you are employed in. The core mission of our team is to make job search simple and stress-free for every applicant.
We’ve also developed examples for dozens of other jobs in all industries, from engineering to sales. Stay with us to see more professions/examples added every week and find your perfect sample that will help you make potential employers want to hire you!
Resume Objective & Resume Summary
To grab everyone’s attention and win an interview invitation, you need to start your resume right. Basically, there are two ways to do this:
- IT Resume Summary - It’s a professional statement, in which you report on your career-related accomplishments, training, top skills, and professional background. Use it if you’ve got years of experience.
- IT Resume Objective - It’s a statement of your aspirations that shifts the focus more towards your passion for the job. Use it if you lack experience yet.
Resume Summary [Examples]
Here are two information technology resume samples:
I’ve been an IT specialist for 4 years. I possess excellent knowledge and skills related to this job market.
CompTIA A+ certified IT consultant with 4+ years of experience, strong work ethic, and an eye for detail. Scored a leading QST rating in the region (99%). Looking to become the next new employee at [company name].
The first resume sample is not specific at all, whereas the second one will get you noticed among other job seekers.
Resume Objective [Examples]
Now, let’s consider two examples of an information technology resume objective:
Support representative looking to be a field technician. I currently have no experience or relevant training, but I’m eager to learn.
Motivated support specialist with the highest grades in quality (98%) and build spec (99%) and 4+ years of experience. Looking to grow professionally as an IT technician within the population of [company name].
Recruiters aren’t really interested in your life stories. Keep this in mind and use the second resume example instead.
Resume Examples [Experience]
To indicate that you know your business well, you have to create a strong IT experience section for your information technology job resume.
Here’re some core tips that will help:
- tailor it to the job description;
- start with the latest position;
- always specify the general data (e.g. company name, location, etc.);
- mention what duties you performed;
- add numbers and accomplishments.
Also, don’t forget to check out a solid resume sample to see how the education section should look like.
Entry Level Information Technology Resume [Experience]
In a sample resume for internship in information technology with no experience, you have to give potential employers a good reason to believe that you can meet their demands and get things right.
Focus on jobs with similar responsibilities or skill sets. If you have totally different past experiences, think about how they can translate into information technology skills. For example, maybe you are well familiar with automation tools. Also, emphasize in-demand soft skills, such as communication, teamwork, leadership, etc.
Entry Level Information Technology [Sample]
Let’s look at the following information technology resume examples:
IT Experience: No
Help Desk Assistant
- Helped to successfully configure and tune corporate computer network.
- Occasionally assisted with the installation and further maintenance of software and hardware on IT equipment.
- Suggested an effective ticket management solution that reduced a queue by 24%
Note how the second resume example makes a non-IT job look relevant. Such an approach can ensure acceptance for the job you want to apply for.
Education Section On Resumes Information Technology
During the creation of your information technology resume, you should always specify your education. Whether you only have a high school diploma or a Ph.D. one, an education section is what highlights your level of qualification and defines the future of your application.
Here is how to add it:
- check the job requirements before you start;
- specify school information and years;
- indicate your degree and major;
- add bullets with accomplishments;
- for multiple degrees, start with your most recent information technology education.
Information Technology Resume Examples [Education]
Even if the information technology requirements don’t demand having a certain level of education, it’s still one of the factors recruiters consider. So, it will directly influence your career and future growth.
Here are two examples of what it can look like:
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- Acquired a Bachelor degree in computer science
- Excelled in Information Technology classes
- GPA 4.0
The second example looks more complete and highlights strengths.
Skills on a Resume for an Information Technology
In our information technology resume samples, we always pay special attention to the skills section because it is one of the core sections that can eventually make companies want to employ you or not.
Your IT resume skills section has to be concise and clear. Also, it should be well-tailored to the job description and highlight the qualities that make you the right candidate for a particular job. And, finally, there should be a mix of hard and soft skills.
Here is a list of the most sought-after skills in this career field:
- Attention to Detail
- Agile Development
- Problem Solving
- Database Administration
- Data Synchronization
- Time Management
- Cloud Management
- Front-End & Back-End Development
- Analytical Skills
- DevOps Debugger
Information Technology Resume Examples [Skills]
Let’s compare two professional IT resume examples:
- Customer Service
- Microsoft Office
- Database Administration
- Excellent understanding of computer software, hardware, operating systems, and applications
- Strong skills for accurate and quick system diagnostics
- Strong collaboration skills
The first one of these two information technology resume samples doesn’t say much about your professionalism and doesn’t even relate to the job. The second option is more suitable for such occupations as it indicates relevant hard and soft skills. So, individuals would better use it as an example.
Other Sections for a Resume Information Technology That Stands Out
Before employers invite you to an interview and decide to recruit you, they want to learn more about your personality and passions. That’s where additional resume sections can help.
Other information technology resume sections you can include are:
- volunteering experience;
- hobbies & interests;
- languages, etc.
These extras will help you drive attention and make your resume memorable. But, in order to get the best results, you have to ensure that your additional resume sections relate to the job.
Information Technology Resume Examples [Other Sections]
Here are examples of other sections for a resume for information technology jobs:
- Tech blogger passionate about trends and innovations
- Captain of the local basketball team
- Advanced proficiency in German and French languages
The first example won’t work because it doesn’t provide any value. The second example suits better for a professional information technology resume. It’s relevant, highlights job-related skills, and gives you a competitive advantage. Thus, it will catch recruiters’ attention as they scan through your resume.
Now, let’s quickly recap on how to write an information technology resume:
- format it right;
- include a summary or an objective;
- don’t forget about the education section;
- list your best skills;
- drive attention with extra sections;
- personalize and tailor the resume to the job description.
Hopefully, this will help you. But, if you want a guarantee of a great result, feel free to order resume help from SkillHub! With us, you will easily impress even the most demanding recruiter and land a job.