As an IT project manager, you plan and successfully execute technical projects of all scales. Make sure that your skills, accomplishments, and work process are reflected in your IT project manager resume. Our resume sample will help you come across as the perfect candidate for any position you are seeking.
If you are trying to seize that incredible new job opportunity, take advantage of our tips to create a stellar resume that will make you stand out from the crowd.
How to Format an IT Project Manager Resume
When choosing an IT project manager resume format, consider your professional history and the particular role you are applying for. For instance, if you have limited work experience, it might be better to focus on your academic work and internships. This will be following a functional resume sample.
On the other hand, if you have established work experience, then you can use a reverse chronological layout for your job application. Regardless of which format you choose, make sure it is simple and organized so it can get through the ATS system and increase your chances of landing an interview.
IT Project Manager Resume Sample
Before you start writing your IT project manager resume, you should carefully consider what kind of candidate the recruiter is looking to hire and the specific requirements. To give you an idea, here we have a resume sample for an IT project manager.
Dynamic IT Project Manager with over 5 years of experience in planning, organizing, controlling, executing, and closing numerous IT projects. Successfully managed all phases of the installation of ERP systems for multiple companies. Helped achieve a 50% reduction in process time by implementing automated solutions. Eager to leverage expertise at IBM.
IT Project Manager
- Managed a team of 10+ IT experts from across the world.
- 95% of IT projects were successfully completed before the deadline and within budget.
- Offered continuous maintenance to 5+ projects.
- Executed $5M deployment of CRM at 12% less cost than budgeted and 3 weeks ahead of schedule.
IT Project Manager
Recruited to be a part of the IT project team to provide management expertise of small-scale but complex technology implementations. Managed budget of up to $2M and cross-functional teams of up to 10 developers.
- Led teams across different disciplines and focused on business objectives.
- Tracked progress to ensure successful completion of project milestones on time and within budget.
- Mitigated risk factors by performing a careful analysis of statistical and financial data.
- Clearly defined processes and tools best suited for each phase and project. Created detailed project road maps and schedules and broke down work into feasible structures.
Education & Credentials
- MS in Project Management, DEF University, 2016 - 2017
- BS in Computer Engineering, GHI University, 2012 - 2016
- Data Analysis certification from JKL Institute
- Database Design (RDBMS)
- System Integrations/Migrations
- Enterprise-Wide Implementations
- Requirements Analysis
- ROI Analysis
- Costing & Budgeting
- Project Scheduling
- Cross-Functional Supervision
- Team Building & Mentoring
- Client Communication
Now that you have a clear idea of what your IT project manager resume should look like, we encourage you to explore other resume samples created thanks to our
We have developed them for dozens of professionals across different industries - from engineering to customer service. We will be updating the list every week with new professionals and relevant examples.
Resume Objective & Resume Summary
Including a resume objective or summary can be the perfect way to project yourself as the ideal candidate. However, you must know the difference between the two first.
In an IT project manager resume objective, you will be providing a brief statement that covers your career goals, or more specifically, what kind of position you are looking for.
In a resume summary, you will offer a short synopsis of your different qualifications and training that sums up why you are a good fit for the role. This can help you convince the recruiter to interview you.
Resume Summary Examples
Wrong IT Project Manager Resume Samples
Experienced IT project manager with excellent skills in planning, budgeting, and execution. Responsible for multiple projects for large-scale clients.
Right Resume Sample
Energetic IT project manager with 4+ years of experience. As a project head at ABC Company, helped save 5% of project costs. Seeking to work with IBM with a proven record of success in efficient project management and planning.
Resume Objective Examples
Wrong IT Project Manager Resume Objective Example ❌
Seeking employment with IBM as an IT project manager. Excellent skills in budgeting, managing, and interpersonal communication.
Right Resume Example ✅
Searching for a position as an IT project manager at IBM to utilize skills and abilities to lead a team and provide suitable solutions. Would like to use my knowledge of costing, problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills to excel in an IT project manager position.
As you can see, you need a resume objective that doesn’t focus on work experience stories or training but rather on what you aim to achieve.
How many mistakes are acceptable on a resume? Are you at risk?
Get Free resume feedback >>
Resume Examples for Experience Section
For IT project managers with significant relevant work experience, you already have sufficient content for your resume. All you need is the right delivery to put you ahead in the competition.
Take a look at this IT project manager sample.
- Managed different phases of the software development cycle for various custom solutions. Delivered software that helped clients save millions of dollars by reducing the processing time.
- Created an SAP ERP system for a new company that supported 200 key users.
This sample IT project manager experience section provides data to quantify your duties and contributions to the business.
Entry Level IT Project Manager Resume for Experience Section
If you are just starting out in this career field, your entry level IT project manager resume should focus on your educational qualifications and skills.
This means you can emphasize on your internships or projects that you completed or indicate what kind of training you received - such as in automation or system engineering. You can also include the type of responsibilities you had to handle and that you are willing to take. Such a self-motivated approach will help impress the hiring managers.
Entry Level IT Project Manager Sample for Experience Section
To help you out, we have created two IT project manager resume examples reflecting the right and wrong approaches.
Wrong Resume Example ❌
- Worked as an entry-level project manager at ABC company. Helped seniors complete projects successfully.
Right Resume Example ✅
Entry Level Project Manager – Start Date – Present
Employers name – Location
- Responsible for helping manage the day-to-day operational aspects of a project.
- Supporting senior managers in the completion of objectives.
- Defining the project scope.
IT Project Manager Resume - How to Highlight Your Education
If you have sufficient work experience, should you still include your education in your IT project manager resume? Absolutely, you must. Many recruiters and employers give high priority to an educational background in their requirements. Moreover, you might also need this to get through the ATS systems.
Here is how you can approach your education section on resume.
- If you have over five years of work experience, include your degree, college, and graduating year.
- If you are an entry-level candidate, expand on your education section with your achievements and mention any projects you took upon during your academic years.
IT Project Manager Resume Examples for Education
Let us consider some IT project manager resume samples on how you can include education.
- Name of the school
- Valid degree or major
- Cumulative GPA
- Major subjects
If the IT project manager requirements include a specific degree, make sure that you state what kind of academic qualification you have clearly.
Skills Section on an IT Project Manager Resume
Your IT project manager resume skills section will highlight what characteristics you have that will match the job requirements of the specific role you are applying for.
To do this efficiently, you can use the following steps.
- Start by creating a list of the skills you have. This should include both soft and hard skills.
- Cross-check the job advert and identify the most relevant skills that are applicable to the position you seek. Rely on this information to see how you can structure your skill section. You can use helpful IT project manager resume samples as well.
- Make sure to mention these skills throughout your resume as relevant keywords.
- Do not forget the importance of soft skills; after all, your interpersonal skills are crucial in succeeding as an IT project manager.
IT Project Manager Resume Examples for Skills Section
Here we have some professional IT project manager resume examples that will guide you to write your skills section. Pay attention to the right and wrong presentation of skills in the following IT project manager resume samples.
- Expert in programming languages, costing, risk management, leadership
- Programming languages
- IT architecture
- Cost control
- Risk and quality management
- Negotiation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Decision-making skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Time management skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
- Management skills
How to Make Your Resume Stand Out
To make your resume sections more refined, you should also consider what unique qualities you can bring to the table. Hiring managers are always looking to recruit candidates who can add more value to their organization.
For instance, in your IT project manager resume sections, you can add a personal profile that will offer more insight into your career journey.
- Add the language skills that will make you a relevant job applicant for global project management companies.
- Add any volunteering experience you have or any hobbies or interests that will personalize your resume. You never know which characteristics of yours might play well for you during an interview.
IT Project Manager Resume Examples for Other Sections
Your professional IT project manager resume can include additional sections that add more value to your application.
- Listening to music
- Keyboard player
- Volunteered for an IT project deployment in a local non-profit organization
- Attended several conferences, including PMI Global Conference and Digital PM Summit.
When you include additional sections, try to make them fit into your resume for IT project manager jobs instead of making them look like you are trying to fill up space in your document.
Hopefully, our guide has given you a clear understanding of how to write a IT project manager resume effectively. Let’s sum it up.
- Find the right format that is simple to read and keeps the content organized.
- Make sure that you approach each section by referring back to the requirements in the job advert.
- For entry-level jobs, highlight your academic exposure.
- Include additional sections that can help you come across as a unique candidate.
Even with these tips, you might find the process of writing an IT project manager resume for your job search a bit challenging.
If so, you can order an it resume writing service from our team of recruiters and professional writers right here!