Office Manager Job Description
Planning to apply for an office manager position? All the relevant information, including the key office manager duties, skills, and requirements, is already provided in the office manager job description. You just need to know how to use it to craft a winning resume!
In this guide from our online resume writing service, you’ll learn:
- An office manager definition;
- The role of an office manager;
- Key duties and daily operations an employee must handle;
- Skills required for the job.
We will also share with you a sample job description.
For more tips, also read what is an applicant tracking system (ATS).
Office Manager Job Description Example
To craft flawless office manager resume examples that get you employed, you must tailor them to the job description.
Here’s how a typical office manager description will look like:
XYZ is seeking a professional and energetic office manager to provide the needed support and facilitate excellence in our organization.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitoring the work of all team members to ensure they meet deadlines, stay productive in the workplace, and follow the standards
- Counseling employees, answering their questions, and providing the needed support and information to help them work productively
- Answering emails and calls from clients and redirecting them
- Setting and managing the office budget
- Interviewing and training new staff
- Tracking and managing office supplies
- Bachelor’s degree (Preferred)
- At least 1 year of experience in maintaining the office and handling administrative tasks
- Strong communication skills
- Great organizational skills
What Does an Office Manager Do?
An office manager is responsible for organizing and coordinating a wide range of administrative and other office procedures to ensure effectiveness, goals attainment, and safety. The duties may include basic administrative tasks like answering telephone calls and emails from clients to complex managerial tasks like planning the office budget and making sure it is met. This is a general answer to the question: what does a office manager do? Continue reading the article for more details.
Note that every successful business needs such specialists. Some popular jobs are at Microsoft, Yale, Google, etc.
Office Manager Average Salary
Typically, the pay for office manager job duties is hourly, though it may vary depending on different financial policies.
How much money is the office manager average salary?
US average: $18.12/hour
Office Manager Job Description
The primary mission of every office manager is to ensure that the entire office works effectively and meets all protocols. But the range of duties (and key skills) in every job description for office manager goes far beyond that.
People who occupy such positions are in charge of managing and streamlining administrative procedures, developing communication protocols, controlling inventory, supervising employees, delegating tasks, and hiring and training new team members. Some higher-paying jobs may imply a wider range of executive support and administrative tasks.
Most cover letter examples for job will also include soft skills like attention to detail, strong time management skills, and active listening. The knowledge of industry regulations will also be helpful. Don’t forget about stress resistance - this skill is a must to develop for every office manager.
Now, let’s see what to put on your office manager duties resume to land a job.
Office Manager Responsibilities
An office managers job includes a wide range of different tasks. And the office manager responsibilities can vary from one company to another.
But, as a rule, these are the core office manager duties and responsibilities you will likely face on your career path:
- Take care of scheduling and organizational tasks;
- Manage relationships inside the team;
- Create and maintain a secure and friendly work environment;
- Take care of customer complaints and other inquiries;
- Coordinate schedules, bookings, appointments, etc.;
- Track the inventory and handle office supply acquisitions;
- Design office procedures and policies and make sure they are being met;
- Participate in the onboarding and training process of every new employee;
- Provide general support to employers, staff, and visitors/customers;
- Manage an office budget.
Top Office Manager Skills and Proficiencies [Office Manager Requirements]
These office manager skills show your level of qualification and help handle the tasks and challenges after you get hired:
- Analysis and assessment
- Time management
- Organization and planning
- Decision making
- Attention to detail
- Supply management
- Process improvement
- Developing standards
- Inventory control
In our office manager resume sample, we show how to put those skills on a resume.
Office Manager Resume Skills
In order to land an interview, you have to carefully tailor your office manager skills resume section to the job you are applying for.
To do this, you should carefully read the job posting and highlight the main keywords used by the recruiter. Using these keywords in your own office manager resume description will help you get past an ATS system.
Here are some of the most though-after skills that a hiring manager will want to see on your resume:
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to follow the instructions
- Creating reports
- Strong interpersonal skills
Want your resume tailored to the office manager job description? Try best resume builder service and get professional written document that gets you hired! As a result turn "We'll be in touch" to "Hired"!
Office Manager Job Skills
Job skills aren’t the same as resume skills. When shaping an office manager description for resume, an applicant should focus only on the key accomplishments and strongest skills. At the same time, to get more interviews, job seekers will need to use keywords to get their applications noticed.
Job skills, on the contrary, may not be included in your resume, but they are vital for your success in the office environment.
Here are some of the key professional abilities you want to excel in to handle the work well:
- Attention to detail
- Decision making
- Critical thinking
So, now, you should have a clear understanding of what is implied by the role of an office manager.
Let’s recap the main ideas:
- What is a office manager - A person who ensures effective office operations and that every employee’s efforts align with the company’s protocols and goals.
- Office manager requirements - Vary depending on each company’s objectives, but typically include a wide set of different soft and hard skills + some professional experience.
- Key skills one must possess - There are resume skills you need to land an interview and job skills needed to do the job right.
- How to use office manager job description for resume - One must tailor their experience and skills resume sections using keywords from the job description.