Did everyone call you a drama queen or a social chameleon? Mix your love for drama (pun intended) with great acting or love for people, and you get a career in theatre. Most people would associate theatre with the actor’s work process. However, you can be a musical director, a costume designer, or a stagehand.
In this article:
- Get a free theatre resume sample;
- Learn resume writing tricks to ‘sell’ your talents to the recruiter;
- Find how to write resume sections for a newbie specialist.
Make a first impression play in your favorGet My Resume Done
How to Format a Theatre Resume
Use an efficient theatre resume format to create a resume as a part of your job application. All resume formats will contain the same sections like the header or Summary. But the layout of these sections will be different.
- Masks the job history gaps;
- Outlines one’s skills;
- Perfect for specialists with no experience.
- Focuses on one’s job history;
- Emphasizes candidate’s accomplishments;
- Excellent format for senior theatre professionals.
- A resume sample written in this format would include features from other format styles;
- Great for custom-made resume structures.
Theatre Resume [Sample]
To persuade the famous Broadway to hire you, compose a sample theatre resume first. The answer on ‘how to write a theater resume’ is simple. Make sure your theatre job description resume follows the right format structure while your acting credits end up in a proper section. Check the structure and organization of sections in this theatre resume written in a chronological format.
Address: 91 Holburn Lane, Heanor
BS30 8YJ, United Kingdom
Phone Number: +44 (077)-6467-6932
Social Media/ LinkedIn: (optional)
Highly creative and detail-oriented playwright with 7 years of job experience in the theatre and film industry. Due to excellent communication and writing skills created 4 plays that won the PLaywright Rent Award and Jane Chambers Playwriting Award.
Bristol Old Vic
- Created and edited plays for the theatre stage in cooperation with the stage director;
- Cooperated with the actors and guided them on the acting approaches;
- Cooperated with the costume designer on the historical clothing for the play;
- Researched the historical and social contexts described in the play.
- Won the PLaywright Rent Award and Jane Chambers Playwriting Award;
- Organized the International Festival of Drama.
Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
London, United Kingdom
Bachelor in Arts and Drama
- Graduated summa cum laude in European Literature and Arts;
- Completed internship at Broadway, 2012-2013.
- Writing, proofreading, and editing skills;
- Analytical skills;
- Creative thinking.
- Time management;
- Organization skills;
To learn more tips on how to write a theatre resume according to all resume writing requirements, visit our Skillhub services:
Our experts renew resume collections each week for free. This means you’ll stay in tune with the modern job market and get fresh resumes hot from the Skillhub.
Resume Objective & Resume Summary
Effective training is not enough to follow your passion for a playwright or actor profession. One must write an ATS-friendly resume with all sections, so the resume lands on the recruiter’s desk. One of these crucial elements is theatre resume objective or summary.
- 1-2 sentences;
- Expresses the candidate’s job preferences and needs;
- Great for industry beginners and those specialists who require additional training.
- 3-5 sentences long;
- Summarizes your job history and skills;
- Great for senior theatre specialists.
Resume Summary [Examples]
To end up among the most motivated job seekers, write an efficient resume summary to make your resume work miracles.
Check how the professional experience should and should not be added to the summary in the next theatre resume example.
A highly creative theatre specialist with 2 years of experience.
Highly creative and innovative playwright with 3 years of industry experience. Due to excellent writing and communication skills organized the production of 10 plays in 3 years. Won the Jane Chambers Playwriting Award.
Resume Objective [Examples]
For career changers, adding a theatre resume objective is a good way to get great hire by the top companies. Even with the lack of experience in your resume for theatre, you can ask for training and get the cherished job position.
To get professional training at the theatre.
To secure a job position as a playwright at local theatres. Additional training in theatre stage communication is required.
Resume Examples [Experience]
Modern theatre resume examples will all contain an Experience section. In a great ‘how to make a theater resume’ conundrum, a part of your answer is to list your professional experience as the best.
- Company details. Write down the role or the job position you held at the company. Continue with the company name and the years you’ve spent working there;
- Responsibilities and accomplishments. In the Key Responsibilities, list your duties while adding your achievements to the Key Accomplishments;
- Links. Upload a resume LinkedIn address to shed light on your talents and projects or any other social media profile.
Entry-Level Theatre Resume [Experience]
Writing ‘no experience’ is a big no-no. All theater job descriptions suggest you’d add some details to this column.
- Job-related experience. Mention everything which reflects your core skills. Got a degree in creative writing or organized drama festivals? Add it here;
- College projects and volunteering. If you had theatre-related job responsibilities like writing drama reviews for a college newspaper, put it in this section. Meanwhile, the reason to talk about your college project is to show your interest in drama and acting.
Entry Level Theatre [Sample]
Obviously, your achievement level might be low because you’re a newbie. In this case, show a glimpse of professional motivation in your theatrical resume to receive acceptance from an employer.
I have got no experience as a theatre specialist. However, with some secondary training, I will be able to enter the field and work for your company.
College Newspaper Writer
- Cooperated with the editing and design departments;
- Wrote theatrical reviews for college readers.
How to Tell the Recruiter You’re Smart Enough
The creation of movies and theatre dramas requires one to have good theatre education. This is why it’s so important to add the Education section to your college theatre resume.
- Write down the college name, its location, and years of studying in a bullet-point list;
- Name your Bachelor or Master’s degree;
- Write down any info on your honors degree if you had one;
- Mention the production studio you had the internship at;
- Add your secondary professional courses in the end.
Theatre Resume Examples [Education]
If you google ‘resume theatre,’ you’ll find that the Education section is concise and factual. To show you potential growth as a professional in a chosen career field, add your Education information in an organized fashion.
I am a recent graduate from the University of Warwick. My drama teachers taught me everything I needed to work in the film and drama industry.
University of Warwick
Coventry, United Kingdom
Bachelor degree in Film and Drama Studies
- Completed internship at Broadway, 2020-2021.
Skills on a Resume for a Theatre
Your theatre skills for resume would differ depending on the occupation you’re going to hold. While acting and singing skills are not necessary for a playwright, they constitute the core for an actress/actor.
How to structure your theatre skills with efficiency? Check a few tips below.
- Write down your Hard skills first. Think of which abilities make you a professional in your career field. For instance, one of the basic skills for a playwright is writing skills. Meanwhile, the core skill would be different for a costume designer;
- Follow with your soft skills. While hosting drama festivals is a secondary skill for a stage director, communication skill is a secondary one for a stage producer in their career field.
Theatre Resume Examples [Skills]
Different theatre occupations will demand different skills. However, one rule which applies to any theatre skills resume is about structure. Keep your theatre resume skills in superb organization and bullet-point lists.
I am great at cooperating with other individuals and expressing my ideas; organization and time management skills; attention to detail; project management skills, acting skills, self-motivation, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Amazing interpersonal skills;
- Great presentation skills;
- Great editing and proofreading skills.
- Superb time management;
- Organization skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Leadership skills.
‘Sell’ the Best Version of Yourself
After showing your professional side, be sure to let the recruiter see your personal achievements, hobbies, and other interests. It is important for HR managers to recruit a person with a well-rounded education, personality, and experience. Yet use Other sections in your theater resume to win a job interview for sure.
Other sections are custom-managed, which means you can create and add as many Other sections as you like.
The most popular Other sections to choose from are:
- Awards & Achievements;
- Other Projects.
Theatre Resume Examples [Other Sections]
If you scan online sources for a perfect theatre actor resume or theatre teacher resume, you won’t find one. Because every company has specific work description demands to match. Meanwhile, the best feature about other sections is that you can use them in any resume.
Awards & Achievements
- Won the graphic design contest at college (2019);
- Did the best illustration for the college magazine.
Awards & Achievements
- My college project won The Young Playwright Award at the Tennessee Festival of Arts and Drama in 2018;
- My play ‘Fighting the Depth’ won the Jane Chambers Playwriting Award in 2020.
Congrats! You’ve learned how to write a theatre resume and stay confident in your Experience and Skills sections. Composing a job-winning resume is not difficult once you’ve learned the principles of resume writing and editing.
For a professional theatre resume, contact our Skillhub services. Custom-written resumes have higher chances to land at the HR manager’s table.
That is why our writers will do everything to ensure the recruiter hands you the dream job. If you’ve got a resume but need some editing to be done, we are here for you too. Just contact Skillhub resume editing service and get the most polished resume ever!