As a copywriter, your best asset is your own flair for writing. Use them to create the perfect resume for a copywriter that gets jobs. Get 20+ great examples and job-winning tips from our experts to get inspired.
Get the Best CopyWriter Resume Sample for your Future Job
One would assume that being a copywriter means you can do magic with your words. However, only you know how much hard work goes into each article to make sure that it is engaging and appealing to the audience.
That said, as good as you are in marketing other products, you might lack the knack to sell yourself.
So, where can you find the best copywriter resume sample to get ideas from?
Right here, and right now!
Here we have curated the most important parts of a sample resume for a copywriter. You can find out everything you need to know to make your resume one of the most persuasive copies you have ever written.
Select the Best Format for a Copywriter Resume
There is no need to tell a copywriter how important it is to get the format right. The layout of the content will determine whether the audience will take time to read it.
The same applies to resumes as well.
In simple terms, you have to ensure that you are choosing the right design and the right words to get your message across to your prospective employer.
So we have prepared sufficient examples for an appropriate resume format for a copywriter in this article. However, here is a glimpse of what you need to keep in mind while building your application:
- Pick a layout with sufficient white space and legible fonts.
- Start with your name, and immediately follow it with your contact information.
- Split your resume into proper sections, divided by headings.
- Mention the skills you have acquired over time.
- Add any certifications that will make your case more compelling.
Now, if you have been working as a freelancer, it is not necessary that you should follow any chronological order. Instead, you can pick a copywriter resume sample that highlights your most relevant work experience. A job you took a few years back might be more appealing to your prospective employer than your current projects.
Choosing the Best Copywriter Resume Templates
By now, you have an idea about what your resume should look and read like. This brings us to the next section - picking the best resume template for your copywriter job application.
Unlike the other industries, copywriting demands you to be creative. As such, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some color or uniqueness to your copywriter resume. However, make sure that the layout does not clash with the content nor distract the reader.
Additionally, if your application has to go through an applicant tracking system, it would be best to stick to the minimalistic templates. You can be sure that these will work for any hiring manager.
Copywriter Resume Objective or Resume Summary
You might be familiar with this section as the 'profit' of the candidate. This is where you sum up your career so that the hiring manager can get a glimpse of what you bring to the table without having to read the entire resume.
As such, it is imperative that you get this snackable version of your copywriter resume just right. In other words, it is your elevator pitch.
Have you worked with any notable brands? Have you been hired repeatedly by a long-term client?
If you are going for a copywriter resume objective, then make sure you have included the skills you have mastered so far.
Example of Copywriter Resume Summary
To nudge you along the way, we have created two versions of a copywriter resume sample with two different summaries.
"Freelance copywriter actively seeking clients, Expert in writing about marketing, technology, and education."
If you are a copywriter, then you know whether such a line is likely to impress the audience or not. Now, look at this.
"Detail-oriented copywriter with five years of experience delivering clear and compelling copy for a variety of niches. Strong sense of customer focus and ability to create highly-targeted sales pitches, email campaigns, landing pages, and other marketing materials."
Even at first glance, you know that the second copywriter knows how to get the job done.
Example of Copywriter Resume Objective
A copywriter resume objective, on the other hand, is more focused on delivery.
"Entry-level copywriter looking for opportunities in the field of technology and eCommerce. "
Not to be blunt, but this will strike as a bad copy in itself.
"Intuitive and concept-driven writing professional with progressive experience in the marketing industry. Demonstrate a creative mindset and resourcefulness with a strong grasp on how to reach the audience."
Even for an entry-level copywriter, there is a strong sense of focus and efficiency in the second version. It suggests that the candidate is willing to put in the work and has an understanding of the current market.
How to Write A Job Description for CopyWriter Resume?
Although copywriting primarily focuses on writing, the extent of your responsibilities will vary depending on the position you are applying for. If you have a few precious work experiences to list, you have to make sure that the copywriter job description matches the demands of the next job.
Here are some tips on how you can write the job description on your copywriter resume:
- List your work experiences in reverse-chronological order.
- List your professional title, the name of the firm, the duration of your job, and a few bullet points explaining your duties and accomplishments,
- Try to include action verbs such as managed, developed, created, etc.
- Whenever possible, quantify your achievements with percentages.
- Tailor each of your resumes to the specific job you are applying for.
Note: In the marketing industry, everyone wants to see results. As such, make sure to include how well the marketing campaigns performed. Take a look at the examples we have laid out below.
Copywriting Resume Examples for Experienced Professionals
If you have worked in a related field for a number of years, you know that resume is only one part of the equation. Most likely, you will have to provide samples of your writing.
But remember that your resume itself is a copywriter sample of your writing skills. That said, depending on the position you are applying for, the responsibilities will extend well beyond writing.
For instance, here is how a professional would tackle the copywriter resume experience section.
- Developing the creative voice of ABC companies across newsletters, social media, email campaigns, and websites.
- Writing informative and engaging product descriptions in brand voice.
- Helped increase the conversions by 20% in the first three weeks using effective content management.
How to Write A Resume for CopyWriter with no Experience?
Thankfully, unlike the other jobs, you do not always need to be employed by a company to create a valid copywriting experience. Today, you can prove that you are good with words by creating a blog or even guest posting for other sites.
However, the only thing is to make sure that your resume for Copywriter with no experience reflects all these aspects and projects you as a professional.
You can do this by reading a number of job postings to understand what exactly the hiring managers are looking for.
Sample Resume for Entry Level Copywriter with Little to No Experience
Take a close look at the copywriter resume examples for a freelancing professional.
- Worked independently as a freelance copywriter.
- Wrote copy for several online platforms.
- Learned the basics of SEO by guests posting for notable websites such as Forbes and The Balance.
- Created and developed product descriptions for several eCommerce platforms.
- Produced, optimized, and managed content using SEO practices for multiple websites.
- Created interactive articles for educational websites.
The latter description proves that you have dabbled your hands in several niches and have a working understanding of the various tools and techniques used in marketing.
How to Write About Your Education
Typically, a copywriter resume is primarily focused on the skill set rather than educational qualification. After all, not every writer has a master's in English literature or communication.
On the other hand, it is likely that whatever your educational background is, you can put yourself as an expert in the respective industry. For instance, say you majored in Computer Science. This could instantly make you an attractive candidate for copywriting in the tech industry.
Therefore, it is best not to brush aside your copywriter education as an irrelevant attribute.
Copywriter Resume Examples for Education Section
Copywriter resume samples for those with over five years of experience:
Degree and major
Copywriter resume samples for entry-level professionals:
Degree and major
- Passed with a 3.1 GPA
- Minored in Visual and Communication technology
- Contributor to college newsletter
If you are just starting out in your copywriting career, any extra details such as your academic achievements and extracurricular activities can embellish your copywriter resume.
How to Include Skills on a Resume for a Copywriter?
As a copywriter, you already know the importance of keywords in any written document today. When it comes to the recruiting process, your skills are essentially the keywords.
In other words, the recruiters and their applicant tracking systems will be ranking your resumes based on these skills. Therefore, remember to include the copywriter resume skills organically in your job description as well.
Here is a list of the most commonly demanded skills in a copywriter resume sample:
- SEO Optimization
- Image Optimization
- SEO techniques
- Web design
- SEO editing
- Keyword research
- Target audience analysis
- UX skills
- UI skills
- Adobe Creative Suite
- MS office
- Content management systems
- Digital marketing
- English fluency
In addition to these, you can also include transferable and soft skills such as:
- Time management
Copywriter Resume Example for Skills Section
To help you get started, we have extracts from our copywriter resume samples on how you can include skills as keywords in job descriptions.
- Create, schedule, and publish posts using content management systems such as WordPress, Joomla, and Magento.
- Collaborated with clients and teammates using Trello and Slack.
- Coordinated with the creative design team and developed interactive brochures using Adobe suite.
- Team Leader for product launch, coordinated with the department of copywriters, designers, and marketing team.
- Created front-facing content for digital marketing campaigns across websites and emails.
- Conducted primary and secondary research on target audience analysis and keyword research.
Five Tips to Make your Copywriter Resume Stand Out
1. Provide samples of your previous work or a link to your published content along with the resume.
2. Attach a covering letter that can further demonstrate your writing talent and give more context to your professional experiences.
3. Add any additional writing jobs you have taken on, even if it is contributing to your school or college magazines.
4. Make sure to edit and proofread your resume before you submit it to make sure that the Copywriter resume sections are devoid of any errors.
5. When using creative formats, make it a point not to include too many graphics that will crash with the writing.
Copywriting Resume Examples for Reference
Your resume for a Copywriter job will carry more weight if you are able to provide additional certifications relevant to your industry.
For instance, if you have a certification in SEO or digital marketing, it is likely to make you a better candidate. Do not hesitate to include them boldly in your copywriter resume.
Hobbies and Interests
- Love to paint
- Attended marketing conferences
Hobbies and Interests
- Completed Digital Marketing Course on Google Digital Garage
- Attended several workshops on creative painting and designing.
- Collaborated on art projects at the school and college level.
In the creative field of copywriting, you never know which one of your skills becomes suddenly valuable. If you are a Jack of all trades, you will not lose anything by shedding light on your other prowesses.
Copywriter Resume Sample and Tips - Summary
Hope our article has answered all your questions regarding how to write a copywriter resume. To summarize:
- Start with a compelling resume objective or summary.
- Make sure to include relevant keywords from the job posting to your job descriptions.
- Emphasize educational qualification and your specialization
- Add additional sections on extracurricular interests and activities
As we mentioned earlier, also include samples of your previous work as attachments to job applications.
Make sure that you check out more copywriter resume samples on our SkillHub website!