Writing is a profession that modern AI can’t substitute completely. Many copywriters nowadays use editing and proofreading software to make their clients happy with a well-done job. However, no machine has yet been created to leave a writer jobless.
In this article, you’ll find:
- A detailed writer resume sample with all necessary sections;
- How to structure your resume and organize the data;
- The specifics of the writer’s work process and skills required to join the workforce;
- How to showcase your talents.
Make a first impression play in your favorGet My Resume Done
How to Format a Writer Resume
A resume sample is commonly a part of your job application. It contains your job history, accomplishments, skills, and talents.
- Functional. This writer resume format opens with your Skills section and focuses on the Experience section less. Perfect for the industry beginners;
- Chronological. A perfect layout with headings screaming that you’re a real professional. This resume style organizes your job experience and work accomplishments in chronological order. Perfect for the industry professionals;
- Combination. This type is a mixture of the styles above.
Writer Resume [Sample]
Below is an efficient writer resume example that follows all resume writing requirements for any company to hire you.
Name: Sally Autumn
Phone Number: +38(503) 297-0065
Address: 8150 SW Barnes Rd #306
Portland, Oregon (OR), 97225
Social Media: You may skip this line if you have no social media.
A professional content writer with 7 years of experience in business blogging. Highly versed in social media and article translation. Created informative and engaging blog articles that advertised company products and attracted the attention of new buyers. Due to the attention to detail and creativity increased the site traffic by 65% in a year.
2015 - 2018
- Created engaging content for the company’s target audience;
- Managed the company’s blog and social media pages;
- Explored blog traffic and improved the SEO part to attract more customers;
- Created and edited the Comments section of the company’s official site.
- Increased the site traffic by 65% during the first year.
2011 - 2015
Bachelor in Arts and Humanities
- Majored in Arts and Humanities;
- Minored in Spanish Language and Literature.
- Superb research skills;
- Strong grammar and punctuation knowledge;
- Editing and proofreading;
- Strong social media knowledge.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Self-discipline and organization;
- Superb time management.
2017 - The Millennial Writing Festival: ‘The Best Blogging Writer.’
We advise you to explore more resume samples as a part of our services:
You’ll find perfect resume examples from a variety of industries to inspire you in composing your own job-winning writer resume.
Our specialists know everything about writing a smart bot-beating resume. Check our resume writing service and see it yourself!
Resume Objective & Resume Summary
All resumes that win a job interview contain a writer resume objective or summary. Check the peculiarities of each below.
- Objective. Written right after a resume header, a great resume objective tells your expectations regarding the job. For instance, the need for additional training or the preference for the company’s location. If you don’t know how to write an objective for a resume, just get creative with your job needs and expectations;
- Summary. Contains your best job skills and tells the reader about your accomplishments and job experience in 2-3 sentences.
Resume Summary [Examples]
Resume Objective [Examples]
Resume Examples [Experience]
You don’t need a professional resumes writer to know how to showcase your experience. Just check the tips from our experts below.
- Length. Your Experience section doesn’t have to be dramatically long. Mentioning 2-3 key job positions is enough. Even one position is enough if it has a detailed description;
- Structure. We advise you to divide your Experience section into Key Responsibilities and Key Accomplishments;
- Content. Include your primary job responsibilities like editing duties and extensive research. Start with your main responsibilities and continue with secondary ones such as ‘communicating with clients.’ You can also add professional keywords such as ‘writing,’ blogging,’ ‘proofreading’ to turn your resume into a bot-beating piece.
Entry-Level Writer Resume [Experience]
Don’t know how to write an entry-level resume with no experience? Take some paper and a pen. Start with brainstorming your skills and personal qualities. Continue with writing down the job experience you already have or job responsibilities you once held. Do you know how to work with automation tools? Great! Mention this skill in the context of your college writing projects or even composing essays.
The one and only rule - don’t leave the Experience section empty.
Entry-Level Writer [Sample]
The following is an excerpt from a resume example with a badly written Experience section. The second example from a resume for writer shows the applicant’s motivation and a promise for future acceptance.
How to List Education on a Writer Resume
If you don’t know how to be a good writer, consider educating yourself. It’s not necessary to graduate from University or get a college degree (though, obviously, you’ll benefit from it as a future job applicant). For instance, you want to be an education writer. Browse online courses in writing and enroll in the one you like.
When organizing your Education section, mention the name of the college (or the course), years of studying, and specialization. Your Education section is ready!
Writer Resume Examples [Education]
When it comes to education, writer requirements are not as scary as they sound. In fact, many writer resume examples list only a few writing courses as the candidate’s primary education in writing. Most employers will focus on your portfolio rather than the place where you’ve mastered blogging.
Skills on a Resume for a Writer
Putting down your writing skills on a resume might sound like torture. Once you google ‘writing skills resume,’ the research results will equip you with tons of advice on how to let your writer skills for resume shine.
A few rules to follow are:
- Divide your resume skills into Hard Skills and Soft Skills;
- In the Hard Skills section, list all skills that are job-related;
- In the Soft Skills section, mention your secondary skills that might be required in other professions too.
Skills you can mention in your writer resume to persuade the reader that you’ve chosen the right career field are:
- Strong knowledge of editing and proofreading tools;
- SEO skills;
- Research skills;
- Superb knowledge of grammar, style, and punctuation.
- Organization and time management;
- Attention to detail;
- Superb verbal and written communication.
Writer Resume Examples [Skills]
A writer skills resume is a place for the largest variety of skills. While some occupations require creativity, others will greatly value following a rigid structure.
How to Shine Brighter than Other Candidates
Other Sections come at the end of your resume sections. Though Other Sections are optional, they are a great way to dive deeper into your personal qualities and hidden talents. Apart from the professional side already shown in writer resume sections like Experience and Skills, Other Sections will tell the hiring agency why you’re the perfect candidate to recruit. All in all, winning a job interview is easier with all sections in place.
Other Sections to add are:
- Volunteer Work, etc.
Writer Resume Examples [Other Sections]
If you scan a writer resume template, you’ll find that the information in Other Sections should be job-related. We advise that your Other Sections correspond to the writer job description for resume posted by the employing company.
Congrats! Now you know everything on how to write a Writer resume and nail the job you’ve been dreaming about for so long. Just follow the structure and organize your resume sections according to the sample in our guide.
Meanwhile, we advise you to submit a custom-tailored resume to the recruiter. Why so? A customized essay focuses on your strengths and showcases your authenticity. Our professionals will gladly assist you with composing a job-winning resume. Check our resume editing service and get the best writing help from Skillhub experts!